Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Veyron Engine Blueprint

A "ticker" for Heritage / 1

in the "era" of Heritage / 1, a video-terminal as the legendary DEC VT100 could be considered a luxury item (given their cost). The most common as a means of user-computer communication was the teletype, hence the denominator TTY (teletype) used by Unix to denote the terminals.



Until now I had thought that Heritage / 1 would use, as terminals, PCs running a terminal emulator such as KERMIT on MS-DOS platform, but even this idea seemed "too modern" (even as emulation). And that is why I bought a typewriter to make it the "teletype" Heritage / 1 ... when the time comes, because the computer does not even exist yet.



Of course, I unpacked the computer, I hooked a piece of paper and began to write ... Experience has been nothing but rewarding!

I can surely say that more than twenty years since I sat down to write on such a machine, is radically different to do on a computer as ours. The sound of print immediately following the keystroke is like a melody out of the piano (directly from your hand) and not the CD Player.

I have no very clear how I will attach my "teletype" a Heritage / 1, ie, how can I modify it to make this possible. Surely begin to experiment with my PC via RS232, since Heritage / 1 has a long way to be born. But for now I have found that the experience of communicating through a "teletype" (instead of a video-terminal) is unique, something that is inconceivable until you have experienced with one's fingers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment